The Sacramento County Water Agency (SCWA) is providing this voluntary program to rebate qualifying residential and commercial customers for converting existing grass/turf with native and drought tolerant landscaping. SCWA residential customers may receive a rebate of $.50/square foot up to a maximum of $1,000 per household or $1.50/square foot up to a maximum of $2,500 for commercial and industrial customers. Rebates will be awarded on a "first come, first served" basis as projects are confirmed completed. The Sacramento County Water Agency reserves the rights to terminate this program at any time, for any reason.
review the video on the right for helpful tips about the application process.
To qualify for a rebate, the applicant must:
- Be the current property owner of record of a single family residence or industrial/commercial property, or his or her authorized representative.
- The applicant's utility accounts must be in good standing.
Have grass (dead or alive) intact when you apply for the rebate. Grass that has already been removed is not eligible.
Submit a completed application packet via mail which includes:
- A sketch of the project conversion area along with measurements.
- A Payee Data Record form (in lieu of IRS W-9).
- At the same time of completing the application packet, you must submit current "before" pictures that were taken within the last 30 days of your yard showing the area where your lawn will be removed. A minimum of three (3) photos will need to be submitted digitally to SCWARebate@saccounty.net. Be sure to include your address in the subject line and your name in the body of the email (See How to Take Your Project Photographs).
Convert at least a minimum of two hundred (200) square feet of lawn/turf in accordance with the terms and conditions of the rebate program.
Complete Plant Coverage Worksheet.
Schedule and participate in a post-inspection site visit with a Sacramento County Water Agency representative once conversion has been completed in accordance with terms and conditions of the rebate.
NOTE: Front yard conversion projects are encouraged. The primary focus is front lawns and/or side lawns in front of the fence. Backyards will be acceptable only if the front yard has been or will be entirely replaced with a program compliant yard.
NOTE: Commercial applicants will need to submit complete landscape planting and irrigation plans that are consistent with the requirements of the Water Use and Conservation Ordinance and Zoning Codes for landscaping to the local Planning Department for review and approval.
This incentive program is NOT retroactive. If you have started or completed you project before SCWA has received and approved your Application, you are not eligible for this rebate.
Steps for the Cash For Grass Program:
- Register for the program.
- Applicants will receive a reply email with Application package and further directions.
- A visit may need to be conducted if any discrepancies are noted in the Application or if a visit was requested.
- Wait for the application acceptance email before beginning any turf removal.
- Residential applicants will need to complete the landscape conversion within 120 days after application acceptance notice. Commercial applicants will have 120 days to complete their conversion after the Planning Department's approval. (See FAQs for details).
- Participate in a post-inspection visit. You must provide a completed plant worksheet during the time of post-inspection.
- Subject to available funding, a rebate will be issued after completion of the post-inspection and all of the terms and conditions have been met. Rebates may take approximately 8-10 weeks to process after a post-inspection visit and approval, but may take longer if documentation required for rebate is incomplete.
Please call (916) 874-6851during business hours or email us at SCWARebate@saccounty.net for additional questions.
make sure that our emails are not filtered into your "junk",
"spam", or "bulk" folder, please add SacCounty.NET to your
list of trusted senders.